After recently visiting the border in Texas, Representative Geoff Diehl, candidate for U.S. Senate, released his comprehensive plan on stopping illegal immigration.
“Illegal immigration is a threat to the national security of our nation and to public safety. It costs taxpayers billions of dollars each year. We can no longer kick this can down the road,” said Diehl.
“The Commonwealth is greatly affected by the problem of unsecure borders. Matthew Denice was tragically killed by an illegal immigrant driving drunk. The drug epidemic, plaguing so many, has reached our state due to the porous border. Beyond the cost of human life, illegal immigration costs Massachusetts taxpayers $1.8 billion annually,” said Diehl. “Unlike Senator Warren, who grandstands on the issue, I will work to solve the problem in a way that will benefit the Commonwealth.
Diehl’s plan includes:
- Building the wall,
- Ending chain migration for non-immediate family members,
- Eliminating the visa lottery system.
- Reducing refugee and visa fraud by re-evaluating criteria and improving background checks,
- Working to end visa overstays,
- Updating the visa program and standardizing the technology for documenting,
- Enacting merit-based immigration reform to expedite naturalization process,
- Prohibiting illegal aliens from receiving taxpayer-funded welfare benefits,
- Placing stiffer penalties on businesses that knowingly hire illegal immigrants,
- Requiring mandatory employer verification of worker eligibility to work in the United States,
- Holding elected officials who violate our federal immigration laws legally accountable,
- Withholding certain federal funds to states that allow illegal immigrants to get drivers’ licenses,
- Prohibiting sanctuary cities and states by holding back federal funding for related law enforcement grants,
- Ending the “Catch and Release” policy,
Diehl traveled last week to El Paso, Texas to see the border issues firsthand. Over the past few months, he has met with law enforcement officials, victims’ relatives, and researchers to help develop his 13 point plan.
“Having traveled directly to the problem areas to see how porous our borders are, it is imperative we build the wall. Moreover, our nation cannot move forward or find common ground until the borders are secure,” said Diehl. “Our nation has embraced immigration and should continue to do so, but immigrants must come here legally. Our laws must be respected. Unfortunately, Senator Warren consistently equates immigration to illegal immigration. It shows a complete lack of respect for our nation’s laws and her unwillingness to have an honest discussion on the issue.”
“The cost for providing social services to those who skirt our nation laws is just the tip of the iceberg. Illegal immigration hurts the jobs marketplace by undercutting labor wages due to work done under the table. Law enforcement and incarceration costs are surging. As a fiscal conservative, I believe that we need to invest in the wall,” said Diehl. “In the long run, it will be less costly than allowing illegals to continue to flood into our nation unabated–taking American jobs and taxpayer funded benefits.”
It is estimated that illegal immigration costs the Commonwealth of Massachusetts $1.8 billion and the nation $113 billion.
Diehl is the only candidate in the race who has a proven track record on fighting illegal immigration. He has supported measures to end funding for sanctuary cities and worked to stop a loophole that would have allowed licenses for illegal immigrants.